When I was in my early teens my family decided to sell the farm and move to another state.
We went from a close community where we knew everyone to the city where we didn’t know a soul.
It was a hard adjustment and with the stress of change that young teens go through it seemed daunting.
I remember one particular night crying in the dark in my room.
My Mother came to the doorway just enough to see her silhouette.
She asked me what was wrong and I responded with, ” I can’t handle this anymore”.
I will never forget her response to me.
“You will handle it.
You don’t have a choice.
This isn’t easy for any of us.
You can either make the best of things or you can be miserable but it’s YOUR choice.”
At the time it seemed the most cruel thing she had ever said to me.
As time passed I found myself in different difficult situations and I often heard her words in my head.
Those words got me through some tough times.
They made me stronger.
What I WANTED was for someone to feel sorry for me.
What I NEEDED was someone to guide me through and that she did.
Life brings us difficult situations.
Some seem insurmountable and yet somehow we find a way to go on.
Today I WANTED someone to feel sorry for me and tell me that everything was going to be okay.
What I NEEDED was to remember that I have a choice and it is mine alone.
I can check my ego at the door,
appeal to my spirit to carry me,
and choose to make lemonade out of lemons,
or have the sour taste feeling sorry for myself for a long time.
I can choose a simple life that brings me peace
and forget about what others think of me
or I can try to keep up with chaos and
never be satisfied with my life.
Either way it is a choice.
Will you pass the ice?
- The problem is not the problem. (vivmayuk.wordpress.com)
- Take if from me (rebeckajo.wordpress.com)
- The Desire For Autonomy (creativitypost.com)
- Right Vs. Right (knowtheworldfacts.wordpress.com)
- Battling Our Inner Conflicts (thomascotterill.wordpress.com)
- My Choice to Choose. (thereflectionfiles.wordpress.com)
- The 5 Tastes Spread (twelveofhearts.wordpress.com)
- Wise Words for Writers: Grin and Berra (mgkizzia.wordpress.com)
- DS 3.7 Time to act … “Get after it!” (delightfullyslow.wordpress.com)
- Train Yourself to Be More Positive in 5 Steps (tinybuddha.com)